Wednesday, April 21, 2010
I'll take Ethics for 1000
After last week's classes, and reading about Mayhill Fowler as well as Matt Drudge's behavior in the Bill Clinton/Danny Williams scandal, I found myself realizing that never journalist feels the need to be ethical. Mayhill Fowler will get stories by omitting the fact that she is a journalist. Because it is our responsibility to report the truth, I believe we should at least tell the truth while doing our job. Otherwise how can anyone trust us, or what we report? Which is why I find myself often doubting the things I read online. Yes, Fowler was able to get a great story of Clinton ranting on and on about a writer because of an article he wrote about him, but she pretended to be something she wasn't in order to get it. She was quoted in saying, "Of course he had no idea I was a journalist. He thought we were all average, ordinary Americans who had come out to see him. And, of course, in one sense, that is what I am." (see more here) Well if she was just an average, ordinary American she wouldn't write a story about her experience with Clinton. She tells her that she didn't have to say who she was because he didn't realize, but that is unethical in every sense of the word. Matt Drudge completely ignored journalism ethics when he continued to post stories about Bill Clinton's alleged child with Bobbi Ann Williams. He didn't check his facts and when he did realize that the story was not true, and that the paternity test was false, he didn't post it for everyone to see as he did with his original story. He didn't care that the paternity test was false, because he had already run away with the story that Danny Williams was Clinton's kid. His reporting was awful as well, which makes me see that a journalism degree IS useful (haha) and at least I am well aware of my journalism ethics. You won't find me omitting the fact that I am a journalist while interviewing a public figure anytime soon. I just don't understand how Mayhill Fowler and Matt Drudge don't see the fault in what they are doing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment